Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Good-Bye Emirates

Hello,

Well, I guess I fulfilled my duties and I get to go home. SNC is fast-tracking the completion of the project, and they will be using my tail-end designs to complete the plant. I am kind of glad it was only a 3-month project, as quite frankly it is very hard to be away from AM and the kids for so long (6-week rotations).

I will miss this land, and all of the people I have met. I feel very privileged to have been able to do work that I love, and also to be an Ambassador for Canada. I worked with people coming from vastly different belief systems, and I feel like we
connected on many levels. I can say that I gained some lifelong friendships with several people.

With the exception of a few challenging issues (different foods, language barriers, etc.), it was a very positive experience, probably the best one yet for myself. The people from Montreal are very good to work with, and very accommodating to a man from Alberta who had forgotten most of the French I learned 20 years ago. I am looking at learning SNC's Engineering system in Montreal for my next short-term project.

I must say that updating this blog on the second rotation had it's technical challenges, but I think I described things well in the first rotation to give everyone an idea of what it is like in the Emirates. I would like to thank everyone
for reading and replying with nice comments, it made it a more pleasurable experience that way.

Thanks,

SS

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

We're glad your experience has been such a positive one for you. AM and the kids will be glad to have you back home. Thanks for the comment on our blog.

Julie Perry said...

nice summary Shane! Can't wait to hear where life takes you next.