Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Night in Abu Dhabi

After a long grueling week getting accustomed to long hours and foreign conditions, we finally get a break and we drove to Abu Dhabi at lunch. With a half-way stop at an Adnoc gas station, we actually had a nice lunch of Southern Fried Chicken, and I drank Pepsi out of a bottle with some Arabic printed on the side, very neat. We drove 160 km/hr and in some cases we were going slow. The French don't seem to mind, they just try to fit in and "Keep the hammer down".



I arrived at my hotel, and it too is very nice. It has nice mahogany furniture, a separate room for a kitchen c/w washing machine, the bed is King, the bathroom is small but luxurious, overall everything is good, except I had to pay for the Internet (15 Dirham or 4.00 and they think they are making a killing). The bellboy almost popped out his eyes when I tipped him 50 Dirham. I decided to opt out of supper, and just relax by myself. There is a mosque beside my hotel apartment, with many filing in just a little while ago. Occasionally I hear what sounds like a fighter plane overhead, but you look in the sky and see nothing. The marketplace down below looks very inviting, with some quaint little shops strewn about.



The people treat you like royalty almost to an excess. It is very friendly in most of what I have seen so far. It almost seems like a forced futurism here, keep up with the west but cherish the customary Muslim values to a high degree. Everything is good though, and the people I work with are very much liking the adventure, just like myself. Apparently the UAE is planning to build a new "Sister museum to the Louvre", and many other grand Architectural enterprises.

Well more to come, I am exhausted.

SS

6 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

I hope you can take some pictures while you're in Abu Dhabi. have fun shopping tomorrow :)

songjason said...

Hey Shane,

I hope you can make it to Dubai sometime too! I want to see some pics of all the crazy architecture there.

Julie Perry said...

Hey Shane, Do they put you up in the hotel once a week? Is this part of the deal? Do you do work in Abu Dahbi? I am confused. How much does an ipod cost there?

Unknown said...

Hey Shane
Have you seen any women? Are their faces covered? Are they allowed to talk? Are they treated poorly? What are your feeling? Are you feeling safe, fearful? If you want to buy me gold earrings, it is OK with me. Have fun, careful fun. take lots of pictures.

Dad said...

Hi Shane,

I just wanted to say thanks for posting your adventure for all of us to share.

Take care,
Dean.

Shane Sparks said...

Hey Donna,

This is a very liberal country from Middle Eastern standards. The idea of not taking pictures of women seems outdated here, as the women seem like they are treated as equals. The media also has very provocative music videos, so
it is not like we have come to believe, at least in this country.

Shane